Fowler 2P Class No. 40697 (built 1932) and Ivatt 2MT Class No. 41296 (built 1951) are pictured in steam in 1960 outside the 1950-built engine shed in Templecombe Lower Yard.
40697 is shown as already allocated to Bath Green Park upon nationalisation in 1948 and remaining there until withdrawal in February 1962.
41296 is shown as allocated to Highbridge from February/March 1957, then Templecombe from April/May 1959 until August/September 1960. The loco returned to Templecombe in August/September 1965, then went to storage from December 1965/January 1966. Allocated yet again to Templecombe from January/February 1966 until withdrawn a few weeks later.
It’s interesting to contrast this photo with WSHSD_2019_29_3218 taken by H C Casserley in 1926 as that shows the original wooden engine shed and the lamp post with its original gas mantels; subsequently updated to electricity.
Photo by G A Richardson. Copyright S&DRT. Our ref. WSHSD_2022_14_300. See also WSHSD_2022_14_289.
Medium format 9 x 6 cm negative.
Image width 800 pixels, available for immediate download. For personal use only. Publishing by any means, including social media, is prohibited. Higher resolutions of this image are available for personal and commercial use; please see photo enquiries page.