Stanier 3P Class No. 40171 (built 1937) and Fowler 2P Class No. 40634 (built 1928) standing at the head of a line of five locomotives and a wagon in Templecombe Lower Yard inbetween the S&D main line and the original Dorset Central station building.
The photo appears to have been taken during a break in journey at Templecombe of the SLS Somerset & Dorset 2-8-0 Railtour.
40171 is shown as allocated to Templecombe from September/October 1960 until April 1961 and accordingly carries an 82G shedplate. Reallocated in April 1961, the loco was withdrawn within the following few weeks. 40634 is shown as already allocated to Templecombe upon nationalisation in 1948 and remaining there until withdrawal in May 1962.
Photo by G A Richardson. Copyright S&DRT. Our ref. WSHSD_2022_14_290. See also WSHSD_2022_14_310, WSHSD_2022_14_281, 03-009 and 03-010.
03-009 and 03-010 were taken on 11 September 1960; 03-009 and WSHSD_2022_14_310 shows what appears to be the same line of locomotives with two additional locos, 43194 and 47542 in front – what is probably one of the buffers of 47542 can also be seen in this image, WSHSD_2022_14_290.
Medium format 9 x 6 cm negative.
Image width 800 pixels, available for immediate download. For personal use only. Publishing by any means, including social media, is prohibited. Higher resolutions of this image are available for personal and commercial use; please see photo enquiries page.