Pines Express issue 295 (winter 2019) has sold out in printed form but is available as a downloadable PDF file. Please note that members have access to all PDF copies from issue No. 1 in January 1966 free of charge.
Add the downloadable product to your shopping basket and when you have completed checkout, go to ‘My Account’ where the downloadable products will be listed.
– Doubling the ‘Dorset’: Jonathan Edwards starts a 2-part article on the doubling of the track south of Templecombe in the S&D’s heyday, drawing extensively from original documents held by the National Archives.
– Recreating the Pines Express on the Bluebell Railway: Colin Jamieson, a Bluebell fireman, describes how this was achieved during their Giants of Steam gala.
– Push-pull trains on the Bridgwater branch line: Dave Bown examines sources of evidence for this formation on the Bridgwater branch and elsewhere on the S&D.
– The Radstock Accident of 1876 – the Canadian view: how the Toronto Globe & Mail reported on this tragic accident.
– Feedback and Information Requests: our previous centre spread photo showed 73054 on an excursion service – was that its last journey?
– S&D stations part 19 – Templecombe: David Grimwood describes a Railway Metropolis and looks at how the station was affected by war.
– Photos by David J Cross: colour views either side of Chilcompton Tunnel.
– Centre-spread photo: Radstock North in 1962 showing several extra buildings added on to the station and fire buckets in abundance!
– The itinerary from the SLS Special, 6 March 1966: pages 3 & 4 of this fascinating document.
– Eight pages of Trust and general S&D news.
Sample pages from this issue: