Pines Express issue 280 (spring 2016) has sold out in printed form but is available as a downloadable PDF file. Please note that members have access to all PDF copies from issue No. 1 in January 1966 free of charge.
Add the downloadable product to your shopping basket and when you have completed checkout, go to ‘My Account’ where the downloadable products will be listed.
– Locomotive Performance – Part 8 – The Last Day: SLS Railtour: This last part of Tony G S Davies’ long-running series presents a very interesting account of the last day of the S&D, quite apart from the detailed running information.
– Countdown to Closure: Jonathan Edwards looks at the events leading to the closure of the S&D and finds that no one event triggered the closure but instead a range of factors were involved, going back many decades.
– The S&D line on 1 January 1966: A former employee of one of the BR timing sections involved with the special trains over the S&D on the first weekend of January 1966 describes how the requirements of the special train promoters were accommodated.
– Centre-spread photo: Steam, sunshine & scenery! This was the first centre-spread and is a wonderfully atmospheric view from the train window on 26 August 1961. Taken near Wellow, looking past 40564 and 53810 at the head of the up train whilst 75072 approaches with a down stopping service.
– A final journey: Mike Beale, who lived in Blandford at the time, describes his last journey on the S&D and the activity at the station over the final weekend.
– Betty Spiller – the Lady Lampman – An obituary: A tribute to this well-known S&D employee.
– Rededication of 34092 City of Wells: Originally named at Wells Priory Road station in 1949, 34092 had been out of service for 25 years for a lengthy overhaul and is seen here being rededicated.
– Trust’s 50th anniversary meal at Bath Green Park station: Photos from this special occasion attended by the Mayor of Bath and many former S&D members of staff.
– Trust and general news.