BR Standard Class 9F No. 92245 (built 1958) on an Up through service passing the grounds of Midford Castle and approaching Tucking Mill viaduct and the south portal of Combe Down Tunnel. This part of the line is now the Two Tunnels Greenway.
92245 is shown as allocated to Bath Green Park from May/June 1962 until the following September/October and is accordingly carrying an 82F shedplate. The most likely date for the photo is therefore summer 1962 prior to the last through services working over the S&D on 8 September 1962.
In the high res. image, it can be seen that the name ‘SID’ has been ‘written’ on the side of the engine by cleaning away the accumulated dirt.
Photo by G A Richardson. Copyright S&DRT. Our ref. WSHSD_2022_14_262. Medium format 9 x 6 cm negative.
Image width 800 pixels, available for immediate download. For personal use only. Publishing by any means, including social media, is prohibited. Higher resolutions of this image are available for personal and commercial use; please see photo enquiries page.