The images on this page are part of the Trust’s collection of over 3000 images. All images shown here are available for immediate download in low resolution. For more information and to see the full range available, see the photo collection main page.
These images are of Southern activity – but we also have dozens of photos of the S&D at Templecombe in this separate category.
The S&D connected to Templecombe station on the Salisbury-Exeter line via a spur line, enabling passengers from Wincanton, Shepton Mallet, etc, to access services to London Waterloo. In recogntion of its importance as an interchange, Templecombe station – including the signal box – was rebuilt in the late ’30s under a government finance scheme and opened as portrayed here in 1938.
However, less than three decades later, the smaller stations between Salisbury and Exeter – including Templecombe – closed at the same time as the S&D, on and from 7 March 1966 with ultimately only the signal box and the remains of the platforms still to be seen.
After much local campaigning, the station reopened to Salisbury-Exeter services in 1983.
Showing all 2 results