The Trust's original S&D First Class carriage – Coach 4, built at Highbridge Works in 1886 – has been shortlisted for the Heritage Railway Association's Carriage & Wagon Awards, due to be presented in February.
After withdrawal from service in around 1930, the carriage served for many decades as a cricket pavilion at Templecombe. It was rescued by the Trust in 1986 and restored at Washford over the next 30 years.
The Trust has two further carriages, both Third Class, and is currently considering how these may be best restored.
[Photo by Dave Temple]