Vent Van No. 10
In 1824, Thomas Usher and his wife Hannah acquired a small brewery in Back Street, Trowbridge. Their three sons took the business forward after 1869, later acquiring brewers Fanshaw & Palmer of Donnington, Berks, under the umbrella name of Usher’s Wiltshire Brewery Ltd. A further 15 independent breweries and their associated public houses joined the partnership before 1939. The apostrophe was deleted from the company name in 1951. In 1960, the business became part of the Watney Mann / Grand Metropolitan empire; brewing at the Wiltshire Brewery eventually ceased in 2000. Today, beers are brewed under the Ushers name by the Wychwood Brewery.